Wednesday, January 20, 2010

X-Ray - No Way!

Yesterday we went to the doctor’s office for a follow up appointment, they required that Gray have an x-ray just too completely make sure that his chest was clear and that the drugs had gotten rid of his phenomena. We left the doctor’s office and headed downstairs in the clinic to the x-ray department. Gray was already a little out of sorts because he had not been happy that the doctor had to touch him in order to look into his ears and listen to his lungs. Gray is a very cuddly and affectionate little man when it comes to his immediate family but gets very upset if he is touched by anyone else even if someone accidentally bumps into him or brushes by him in a store; it causes him to get very agitated. So since he was already upset when we went down to x-ray it became even worse when they advised that I was not allowed into the room. I tried to explain to them that he has autism and that he may not take well to having to have an x-ray done. They said it would be no problem and called another lady over to help. I should have gone with my gut and said no but I also knew it was important to get the x-ray to make sure he was ok.

They took him into the room and I heard them telling him that they were going to take a picture with the big camera before they closed the door on me, but he wouldn’t stand for them so I guess they decided to try to put him onto the table and try to strap him in so he would stay still long enough to take the picture. It didn’t work he got so upset that he was kicking and hitting at the ladies I ended up going into the room to put a stop to it and try to calm him down. I felt so horrible for him he was shaking and crying he was so scarred and all I could do was hold him. After we left the clinic I put him and Gracie into their car seats and he wouldn’t let go of my coat I had to pry his little fingers off so that I could move to the drivers seat I tried to calm him by offering him some pizza for dinner (yes I was trying to bribe him) but even that didn’t work he looked at me and said no mommy. When we got home Gray immediately ran and hid under the kitchen table he pulled the chairs in around him, which is a sign that Gracie knows means don’t come near me. Gracie lied on the floor in the dinning room and watched her brother not getting to close but not leaving him either. Gracie and Gray have an amazing bond that I hope never goes away. He started to cry and after a bit of effort on my part to get down and crawl under the table I sat with him trying to calm him down for a while and just being close to him. I was finally able to coax him out from under the table but when he came out he would not leave my side and stayed that way for hours. He refused to eat anything but I did manage to get him to drink a milkshake. He went to bed and this morning thankfully he woke up in a great mood. Sometimes his meltdowns can last for a short period of time other times they can last for days

“Any experience can be transformed into something of value” –Vash Young

No comments:

Post a Comment