Sunday, January 17, 2010

Temper tantrums at 2am!

Lately it takes me a little while to get comfortable at night, I toss and turn which in itself is a huge feet since my belly is getting so big that I almost need a crane to roll me over, add to the fact that my husband is not home to cuddle with and it makes for a restless sleep. Last night however my daughter who doesn’t sleep well at the best of times thought that she needed to be up four times not because anything was wrong with her (which is why my son gets up at night) no she was up because she thought that she needed to be! She wanted to play, but she couldn’t play quietly in her room, she wanted to play with mommy. 11:15pm, after I had just settled comfortably into bed…mommy, mommy, MOMMY! That’s right Gracie was awake I tried to ignore her hoping that she would go back to sleep but no luck with that, she just got louder and louder and then she started to cry. So I got up went to her room and told her it was time for bed and that she needed to go to sleep tucked her back in and closed the door, I had just crawled back into my bed when her tears started they were short lived and only lasted for a few minutes. Then quiet at least for another forty-five minutes then that’s right she was up again this time she was calling for juice so back through the above mentioned steps. I crawled back under my covers and tried to get comfortable but this time it took me a while. When I finally fell back asleep you guessed it she was up again, this time I didn’t get up I decided on the tough love approach and called to her from my nice warm bed, “Gracie go to sleep”. She cried for about fifteen to twenty minutes and then I heard her crawl back into her bed she had apparently given up, finally! I was sleeping soundly now when I awoke once more to the sound of crying, this time though it wasn’t coming from Gracie’s room, no this time it was Gray. So out of my warm bed I crawl and down the hall to Gray’s room he’s easy when he’s up in the middle of the night it’s usually because he’s lost his nuk or needs to be covered back up again( he doesn’t understand to cover himself back up on his own and most nights he’s up a couple of times at night,apparently this is a common issue with children with autisim or so says the chat groups that i'm apart of insomnia and waking up multiple times at night are all apart of being a parent for these little ones. Most nights though he will cry for a few minutes then go back to sleep) Tonight he had misplaced his nuk so it was a matter of checking the sides of the bed and giving it back to him, he was happy and rolled right over and closed his eyes again. I had just crawled into bed when Gracie who must have heard me up with her brother got up and started to scream and not just a little scream a full bodied I’m mad and you’re going to hear about it scream. So back into her room picked her up, put her in bed, a firm good night and go to sleep. Nope didn’t work she screamed for another forty-five minutes, she is the type of child that does not give up easily. I crawled into bed and put a pillow over my head to muffle the sounds of her screaming it didn’t work I can’t sleep when she’s crying but I refused to go into her room and give in to her she eventually cried herself out and crawled back into bed where she fell soundly asleep and stayed that way for the rest of the night. Then guess what I was thinking to myself ah time for sleep when the smallest member of our family decided it seemed like a good time to start to stretch and roll around…oh well maybe I’ll sleep tomorrow night, or maybe not.

"madness takes it's toll, please have exact change"

No comments:

Post a Comment